Where delectable dishes meet catastophic cuisines.

To all the amateur chefs, bakers and kitchen workers who find themselves with a plate that looks far different from the recipe's photo. Here one can find a collection of tested recipes, ratings of ease of preparation, time, and of course, flavor. Plus all mishaps encountered along the way.

Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

In-and-Out Tye Dye Cake

Cake

This one is from a while back! (Around a month and a half.) My cousin turned 16 in August (yay!) and she decided she wanted a family party... but not just any old party... she wanted a TYE DYE PARTY! *Confetti* Anyways, I love to experiment with decorating cakes, so I thought "What would be better than a tye dye cake for a tye dye party!?".

So basically, I got boxed cake mix (I had some in the cabinet already), and made it according to the boxes directions. Normally I use applesauce instead of the oil, but I didn't want to mess around with my cousin's birthday cake. Once the batter was made (and some necessary "tasting" had occurred) I was ready to make a colorful cake! I first scooped the batter into the baking pans (8in. rounds). After each scoop, I added a glob of gel food coloring and swirled it around. Every time I scooped batter in, I swirled a different color of coloring. This didn't change the entire cake's color, it just created a marble-like effect.

Cake
Cake
Cake

Cake
All baked and ready for the frosting!

The frosting was more of a challenge, but not too bad. I separated the frosting (a homemade recipe from my mother's falling apart edition of the "New Cook Book") into smaller bowls and stirred in food coloring to make it a solid color. I stuck with white for the sides and middle layer for simplicity's sake. I spooned the colored frostings in a bulls-eye pattern on the top of the cake, then took a toothpick and dragged it in and out and all about. At first I wasn't sure it was going to look good, but I loved the results.

Cake

I finished off the cake by putting leftover colored frosting in a bag and piping a border. FAUX-PAS: I forgot to stiffen the frosting before I piped, so it sagged a wee bit. Oh well, its all going to the same place (mainly, my belly).

Cake

Cake
Sixteen candles on that cake!

Cake
The birthday girl!

Cake
Okay, so she's not the best cake-cutter, but somehow it seems that this is the only way a cake like this should be cut.

Cake
Like I said, into my belly.
Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment